Friday, June 27, 2014

The Female Interlude

Today was advertised as spiritual reflection night, and that's coming (maybe two tomorrow?), but a few amazing external sources have come to my attention over the last couple of days that are compelling enough to put a pause on the plans.  Please - give a gander to the links below.

1. The Heartbreaking One: The Daily Show's all-too-real take on the threat of sexual assault.
My coworker and I were talking today about the burden of attention that girls have to constantly respond to.  To a guy, a request for a phone number in order to "gather more information" about a program/opportunity is benign -- too a girl, it's a potential come on.  While running today, my male running partner brought up the topic of "encouraging" running honks.  Meanwhile, I always wonder if that was some creepy observer.  I stopped counting the number of aggressive catcalls I received on my run a couple of days ago at four separate incidents (one who I kept meeting at stoplights).  My parents track my phone and I carry pepper spray.  I'm not actively afraid.  I don't actually expect anything to happen, but I'm conscious of the possibility.
2. The Interesting One: Blogger Esther Honig has 25 countries photoshop her...
...revealing different standards of beauty.  http://www.estherhonig.com/#!before--after-/cvkn
3. The Ambiguous One: Verizon's New "When You Tell Her She's Pretty" Commercial
I think you can do both.  I notice that some of my guy friends hesitate to comment on my looks, and, especially in the case of significant others, I wish they would.  I'm pretty low maintenance, but sometimes it's fun to look nice and be noticed for it.  I don't believe recognizing appearance means that I girl will choose not to engage in the cultivation of her mind.  I think we run the risk of pigeon-holing girls in the world of serious mental development.  Human identity in multi-faceted and can easily include physical appearance, athleticism, creativity, and intellect (and much more).  Never let the nice dress be an excuse to stay out of the creek or the fresh nails prevent a girl from playing in the dirt.  Never disallow or discourage a girl from pursuing any interest.  However, encourage whatever interest that may be - science experiments, Jane Austen, heavy metal, computer programming, cooking, or fashion merchandising.  Respect the whole her, including her mind, her interests, and her natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment